Life in the South Pacific

Stop in and read all about my Peace Corps journey in Samoa! Don't forget to send me letters and emails!! Packages are always welcome too! :)

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Officially a Volunteer!

So Group 76 are officially volunteers! We had our swearing in ceremony in Vaie'e today and tomorrow we separate to our own villages. It's going to be real weird being on our own after being with the group for just about every waking moment. I'm looking forward to it and a little scared and nervous as well.

The past 3 weeks have flown by. The last two weeks in the village our schedules were jam packed with activities and we were either practicing for the fia fia, working on the village project or in class. But we survived and made it thru! The fia fia with the village last Friday was great. The boys did 2 slap dances, us girls did a Samoan siva, we did a sasa (slap dance) together and then we performed a mini play. It was tons of fun and the village appreciated all our effort. They went all out as well and we were showered with lavalavas, handicrafts, jewelry and fans. It was amazing. They are truly some of the kindest people ever. Later that nite my own family had their own fia fia for me. We had a BBQ. They actually went out to buy a grill so that we could have a bbq. I tried to help them put it together in the afternoon but we ended up having to redo just the stand about 3 or 4 times because I am terrible at putting things together. I ended up going to take a nap. Then my family showered me with some gifts. I was amazed. They were crying and sad to see me go. Samoans are so big on family and I was very touched.

And today it was great to see everyone again. I'll be back to visit soon I'm sure. The Teuila Festival is next week and I am very excited. It's this huge weeklong festival here in Apia and Samoans from New Zealand, Australia and the States fly in to see it. I can't wait to see what it's like.

The past few days in Apia have been crazy busy too. We've had a few more sessions, getting tours of the Peace Corps office, our access codes (finally!), seeing the hostel and meeting more of the staff here.

And I've finally linked some blogs from my group for more stories. Tim has some pictures up so be sure to check out his.

And now I'm off to run errands before everything closes! I bought a cell phone yesterday on the recommendation that it would work on Manono but then when I went to another store to activate it, another person said for sure that it wouldn't.

Cheers for now!

1 Comments:

At 9:41 AM, Blogger Ethan and Sara said...

Congrats Steph! Great to hear you swore in. Hope you keep your blog posted. Have fun on Manono. Sara (group 72)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home