Life in the South Pacific

Stop in and read all about my Peace Corps journey in Samoa! Don't forget to send me letters and emails!! Packages are always welcome too! :)

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Settling In

So we have now been in the village for almost 2 weeks and it sure is a lot different from training. It’s weird to be on my own and not have the rest of the group around. It’s overwhelming and a bit scary. The village is beautiful and my family is wonderful. The people are all very nice, but it’s hard to push myself to constantly go out and try and make conversation with people. It’s frustrating because I can’t say much in Samoan and I really want to be able to speak the language and understand what everyone is saying, but I just run out of things to try and say in Samoan after awhile. It is going to take lots of time. As much as I want to get to know everyone in the village, I also find that I’ve been spending a lot of quality time with myself. The volunteers weren’t kidding when they said that we’d have plenty of time to read, write and get to know ourselves. Everyday I spend about 2-4 hours in my own room and get my nap in and a lot of reading and writing done.

I do like my family a lot. They have been very welcoming and have let me have my space. My nephews are the most adorable things and I’m hoping that my sister in law has a girl the end of September.

So last week I did stop in Apia on Monday, mainly because I had lice. I was eating breakfast Saturday morning when my cousin all of a sudden pulls 2 bugs out of my hair, and then my sister in law and brother pulled out a bunch more as well. Yuck. Teuila gave me shampoo for that. I did run into Jame, Jordan and Jess at the Peace Corps Office and I was so extremely happy to see them. It felt like we hadn’t seen each other in weeks, but really it was only 4 days!

The week dragged slowly. I went running once and walked around the island once. I spent some time at the school. The schools are on break this week and next so last week the teachers didn’t do much teaching. They had sports day and movie day 2 of the days that I was there. I also showed some teachers how to use some of the games on the laptop and they loved it. John came to visit me on Thursday morning with his “mom” and once again, I was very happy to see someone from my group. I showed him around the island and we got to trade stories.

This past weekend I was in Apia for the weekend to run some errands and also because I had to run some errands with my mom and dad. It was nice to be in town and because it’s the start of the Teuila Festival there were a lot of other volunteers in town. I got to know some of the volunteers and we went to the siva afi show (fire dancing) and it was amazing. There was a juniors and seniors competition and they were so awesome. Last nite was the start of the festival and I went with Jordan, Jame and Candice to the choir competition, mainly because Jordan had told her village she would be there to support them. We showed up a bit late, but the same song was sung 31 times! Dane and Amanda were also in town singing with their villages so we got to talk to them too. And apparently Amanda, Jame and I were shown on TV so when I was in Apia today as well as in my village, everyone I knew told me they had seen me on TV last nite. I felt like a mini celebrity.

We spent most of the weekend lying around Jame’s apartment, eating lots of junk food (I brought her lots of cookies and panipopo), reading and talking. I felt like I was in college again.

I am getting adjusted to the village. I’m used to the bucket showers now. They’re really not so bad! I’m slowly getting to know everyone in the village. The primary school students have made me feel welcome. The girls always stop and talk to me and the boys will occasionally walk me home if I’m up at the school.

I’ll be back in town on Thursday. I’m excited because most of my group will be coming in so it will be a mini reunion after 2 weeks.

Time to eat!

29 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, this was an exceptionally nice post. Taking the time and actual effort to generate a superb article… but what can I
say… I put things off a whole lot and don't manage to get anything done.

Feel free to surf to my web site; grand cayman islands vacation

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Appreciate the recommendation. Will try it out.


Feel free to visit my weblog: home mortgage loan for bad credit

 
At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Neat post. There is an issue along with your website
in internet explorer, might test this? IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a
large component to other folks will omit your magnificent
writing because of this problem.

My web blog: home equity loans for poor credit

 
At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! I could have sworn I've been to this web site before but after looking at some of the posts I realized it's new
to me. Regardless, I'm definitely pleased I came across it and I'll be book-marking it and checking back frequently!


Also visit my webpage: debt consolidation Bad credit

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make
your point. You definitely know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your site when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?


Here is my webpage ... hosting cpanel gratis

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally,
it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
You definitely know what youre talking about, why throw
away your intelligence on just posting videos
to your site when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?


Here is my weblog; hosting cpanel gratis

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I visited many web pages except the audio feature for audio songs present at this
website is really superb.

My blog: stay at home mom jobs online

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up, yeah this piece of writing is really fastidious and I have learned lot of things from it regarding blogging. thanks.

Feel free to surf to my webpage: search marketing seo

 
At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, just wanted to mention, I liked this post.

It was practical. Keep on posting!

Here is my web site; umschuldung ohne schufa

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you ought
to publish more about this topic, it might not be a taboo matter but usually
folks don't talk about such issues. To the next! Cheers!!

My blog; tybee island Vacation Rentals with Pool

 
At 4:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established
blog. Is it difficult to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I'm thinking about making my own
but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Many thanks

Have a look at my blog post ... Www.tempsde.Punttic.cat/wiki/index.php?title=Wonderful_Suggestions_And_Strategies_For_Terrific_Affiliate_Marketers

 
At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For newest information you have to pay a visit world wide web and on internet I found this web page as a best site
for hottest updates.

my site; make money at home online

 
At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there I am so delighted I found your blog page,
I really found you by error, while I was researching on Yahoo
for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would
just like to say thanks for a fantastic post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I
don't have time to look over it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent job.

My web site :: student loan consolidation best

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Appreciation to my father who told me on the topic of this website, this
webpage is really amazing.

My web blog: government home loans

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now
each time a comment is added I get several emails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove people from
that service? Thanks a lot!

My blog post All Inclusive Honeymoon Packages

 
At 1:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya i'm for the primary time here. I found this board and I to find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I'm
hoping to provide something again and aid others such as you helped me.


My blog - AUAF-AUCA eLearning: Personal profile: Porter Branch

 
At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site. Studying this information So i'm satisfied
to express that I have an incredibly good uncanny feeling I found out
just what I needed. I such a lot indisputably will make sure to don?
t overlook this web site and give it a look on a relentless basis.


My site: search engine optimisation consultant

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read so many content concerning the blogger lovers but this post is truly a pleasant post, keep it up.


Here is my blog bad credit mortgage broker

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my weblog thus i came
to go back the want?.I am attempting to find issues to enhance my site!
I suppose its adequate to make use of a few of your ideas!
!

My blog post ... kranken versicherung vergleich

 
At 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the admin of this web site is in fact working
hard in favor of his site, because here every data
is quality based data.

Also visit my web page - Search Engine optimization Uk

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Birkenstock Shoes When your wedding and reception is not official and you still want your guests to put on a thing formal, take into account the Limited Silk Dress using Paillette Details. This dress includes a entire blouse which finishes at the knees, doing it a number of a little wild pizzazz. Paillette particulars give it an indication involving luster that may be befitting the actual religious organization or perhaps a social gathering. The actual bodice is equipped and bustier, along with the dress can be purchased in canary, apple company, cornflower, pistachio, as well as other colors.
[url=http://www.wimac.co.uk/partners]Karen Millen Sale[/url] Small prom dresses were being ultra scorching this past year together with the launch in the extremely small as well as ultra poofy newborn little girls outfit, on the other hand, this coming year 18 Party failed to feature the child toy formal outfit. Though you will not find as much short prom dresses with regard to This year, people who are usually highlighted are really attractive. What's hot in abbreviation professional attire this current year? The love neck line. Virtually all small prom gowns this season are usually strapless and have a ultra complementing sweetheart neck-line.
[url=http://www.wseas.org/wseas/birkenstocksale.html]Birkenstock[/url] This specific ebook is about one specific family's idea of promoting. For three ages, my children may be salad dressing males and females throughout Fairfield and also Westchester Counties, where a excessive concentration of top management dwell and ever more perform. The outlets are below one hour through coach by Brand new York's Grand Main Station, although were explained to we're a new apart with regards to the treatment, time period, and a focus all of us devote to just about every buyer. My mom and dad started out the organization throughout 1958 within a ex - plumbing contractor present store using a bare-bones catalog connected with about three accommodates and all the no cost caffeine you could take in.

 
At 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure why but this weblog is loading incredibly slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end? I'll check back later on and see if the
problem still exists.

Review my site :: Looking For Information About Web Page Hosting? Verify The Ideas Here!

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post writing is also a fun, if you be familiar
with then you can write or else it is complex to write.

Feel free to visit my web page :: private krankenkasse vergleich online

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do
it for you? Plz answer back as I'm looking to design my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from. thanks

Also visit my webpage best affiliate networks

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How to insert Dynamic Drive codes and scripts on my Joomla site?
[url=http://bonusron.com/]bet365 bonus[/url] [url=http://2013bettin.com]bet365 bonus[/url]
[url=http://www.freewebs.com/bonusbukk/]bet365 bonus[/url] [url=http://2013bettin.com]bet365 bonus[/url]

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

informative and entertaining. I’ve added your blog to my “reading material.
” Proceed me updated!

Here is my web blog; günstig günstig

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Hold hearing for the news speak about obtaining totally free on-line grant applications so I've been attending around for the top-quality web-site to receive 1.

Feel free to visit my web site search engine marketing services

 
At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked
hard on. Any suggestions?

Look into my page Amenajari Living

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Latest four times a year [url=http://hermes.ruren.org/][b]エルメス 財布[/b][/url]
results, adapted at invariable swop rates, Hermes profits increased by [url=http://hermes.ruren.org/]エルメス 店舗[/url]
12.8% to 856.8 million euros, compared with 776.9 million euros in the yet duration in 2012, an farm of more than 11% of [url=http://hermes.ruren.org/][b]エルメス 店舗[/b][/url]
the bazaar participants require, but compared with sales in the earliest mercifulness of 2012, an add to of [url=http://hermes.ruren.org/]エルメス 店舗[/url]
17.6%words, has slowed; at contemporaneous swap rates, Hermes in the original point [url=http://hermes.ruren.org/][b]エルメス 財布[/b][/url]
takings advance of 10.3%, during the stage of give toll fluctuations cake someone go the body 19 million euros. [url=http://hermes.ruren.org/]エルメス 店舗[/url]
In summation, the mass's retail [url=http://hermes.ruren.org/][b]エルメス 財布[/b][/url]
watercourse sales wen of 13.6%, the wholesale means sales multiply of 9.9%.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home