Life in the South Pacific

Stop in and read all about my Peace Corps journey in Samoa! Don't forget to send me letters and emails!! Packages are always welcome too! :)

Monday, October 23, 2006

It's A Girl!

So my sister in law finally popped! She had a baby girl on the morning of October 20. And guess what they named her...Stephanie! I was quite honored and amused as well. It's hilarious listening to my little nephew try and pronounce the name. But finally, a girl in the family! I'm disappointed I missed the whole delivery. I heard crying and yelling at 4:30 am and just thought it was my family being crazy and the babies crying. So when I woke up at 6:30 am and my little nephew, Evile, kept saying "pepe" I didn't think much of it until my mom came and told me that the baby came and she just finished delivering at 6 am, in the little fale right behind my house. My house is going to continue to be just crazy.

So on October 11 we welcomed Group 77 to Samoa. Insane that a new group is already here. Seems just like yesterday we were the ones being welcomed at the airport. This time it was our turn to be the greeters. Group 77 is mostly IT people and there are 12 guys and 4 gals. This will be the first group that we will leave, instead of people leaving us.

On that Saturday we had their fiafia and it was tons of fun. We got to perform our siva teine that we performed in Vaie'e once again, with a couple of volunteers from other groups joining us. And Jordan, Jame and I made fettucine alfredo with pe'epe'e cream (coconut cream) and it was delicious. Much more dancing at their fiafia than ours, mostly because the sound system was working this time. Most of the volunteers were in so got to catch up with a lot of my girls.

I also spent a nite in Vaie'e to visit my training family during the week I was in Apia. It was nice to see them, but a bit weird because it feels like I don't have much to talk to them about. I can't believe it's been 2 months since the 15 of us were running around crazy in the village.

Last week Year 8 was in exams and for some reason, the rest of the kids didn't have school. I came up to school everyday to hangout and let the kids play some kids on the laptop. They're getting to know how to use it pretty well and loving it. I am excited to try and teach them how to use the computer. I am hoping to start a library here in the lab as well and get the kids reading a bit more too.

Okay, time to go. The kids are starting to swarm me!

2 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger Ethan and Sara said...

congrats on havıng a baby named after you! Fınally have some tıme to read yours and few others blogs... I mıss Samoa. Enjoy ıt for me too! SaraZ (72)

 
At 11:58 PM, Blogger MookFish said...

padow!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home