Life in the South Pacific

Stop in and read all about my Peace Corps journey in Samoa! Don't forget to send me letters and emails!! Packages are always welcome too! :)

Monday, November 13, 2006

A Furry Little Visitor

So I wrote this about a week ago and finally have a chance to post it:

Sunday, November 5, 2006

So lately I have had a little visitor in my room. Yech…a mouse! I am terrified and do not like mice at all. So you can imagine that when I woke up to a scratching noise the other nite and realized that the mouse had taken down my curtains somehow and was trying to dig a hole out of my room, I was petrified. Well, maybe not petrified, but pretty near so. I tried as much as I could to ignore it and fell in and out of sleep. Luckily my mom ended up hearing the noise and had come to check up on me (since I also had a fever) and I was sitting up in bed when she came in and I told her that “I think there’s a mouse in my room.” She saw it on the window pane and called my dad and he came in with a Samoan broom and knocked it down, but then it was a completely lost cause because it was nowhere to be found. What did happen was that one of my brothers came in and looked all over for the mouse and my mom ended up cleaning my room for me. Later the furry little critter did show up again when my mom was giving my stomach a massage, must be something in the water that is giving me the runs and some pain. I shut my eyes while she yelled for my brothers. I had 2 of my brothers trying to chase down that mouse, but once again it was to no avail. I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that I don’t have to ever see it.

In other news, all is going well on my tiny island. Dane and John came to visit yesterday. We took a walk around the island and went swimming in Apai. The tide was real low though and the weather was only so-so. It’s been rainy, windy and cloudy here the past couple of weeks. But it hasn’t been too hot which means a lot less sweat. It was nice having them here and showing them around, though it was John’s 3rd time to the island. My family and the other villagers enjoyed having them here and by meeting other “pisikoa” they can see who I’m talking about when I talk about them. They got coconuts and breadfruit fresh off the umu to take with them on their boat ride back to Upolu.

I am settling in nicely to my village, though there are days, especially the past few, where I just don’t feel like I’ll ever really belong or ever get the hang of this language. I’ve been hanging out at the school more and giving Year 8 the chance to use the lone laptop we have at the school. It is tough “teaching” with just one laptop though, as the kids sometimes have to wait awhile before their turn. But they do manage to pass the time, and it generally passes pretty quickly. Going to school gives me something to do and keeps me somewhat occupied. The kids are learning how to type right now and then play games after their lesson. It’s not hard to keep their attention because they absolutely love playing on the computer. Pretty soon they’ll all be computer junkies like us back in the States.

The village has been busy and finally, the pastor’s new house has been finished. Hallelujah! For the time being, I don’t have to worry about what to do with myself when everyone else is working hard. The opening of the pastor’s house is on Friday, so we will be busy preparing for that.

Baby Stephanie is doing well as is her mother. She smiled at me this morning while I was holding her. All the kids in the family are doing great…they cry, they laugh, they eat, and they cry some more. It just wouldn’t be the same without them.

And now I’m off to bed and keeping my fingers crossed that my little visitor doesn’t make an appearance tonite!


At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just Thought I'd Say Hi!!!!

I made an extra $2000 a Month Using this site!!


Post a Comment

<< Home